Friday 29 March 2024

3D Printing and Assembling my Robot

 Finally I have enough parts printed to start to assemble my final robot.


Some parts require supporting during the 3D printing process. I have an IDEX printer (Independent Dual EXtruder). This means it has 2 independent tool heads/hot-ends. They can each print a different material. So here I have printed my main part in PLA+, but used PETG for the support material. These different plastics do not stick together very strongly, so I can completely eliminate the vertical separation normally required to make supports removable. Above you can see the indented rectangles and the arch (this part was printed the other way up to how it is shown in the photo. The PLA+ is totally supported in these areas, and the PETG just snaps cleanly off (you can see the small PETG supporting parts behind on the desk).

Around 3 weeks to the competition and I have so much to do! I am away for a week around Easter too, so I have to turn this pile of parts into a working robot this week.


It isn't all advanced digital design and manufacturing. I cut these 'washers' out of plastic milk cartons as the polythene these are made of is really low friction. I put one of these between every pivot joint in the grabber so that the rougher surfaces of the 3D prints move smoothly over each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment