Monday 25 March 2024

CAD Model Completed

After several late nights working on my CAD model I think I have everything done.


Learning from past mistakes, I included a sketch of the maximum allowed robot size. I also used this to label which motor sockets on the Motor2040 board each of my wheels is connected to, so that I reassemble it correctly when I disassemble my test chassis and rebuild it with the 3D printed parts from this new design. I reused the Pi 5 case design, but reprinted it in better quality in ABS. I added mounting space for a USB-C battery pack which after testing I was happy to confirm is capable of powering the Raspberry Pi 5 with no issue. The twin cell Li-Ion battery pack between the wheels powers the motors (via a 6V UBEC) so they get a constant voltage supply whatever the level of charge of the battery. Using separate batteries also ensures the motors don't cause brown outs for the Pi power supply when the going gets tough.

The whole CAD design is highly modular. This enables each part to be printed separately, reducing the time lost if a print fails or a part needs modifying and reprinting. It also allowed me to get parts printing while I was still working on the rest of the model, saving valuable time.

No comments:

Post a Comment