Friday 22 March 2024

I really need to get working on my own robot!

Just one month to go until competition day, and I have not started building my own robot yet! Panic has started to set in and I have done some initial work on the CAD for a small chassis to hold the motors and a battery. Based on the design of my small tracked robot, but needing 4 motors instead of 2. I have a design which uses commercial camcorder batteries still commonly used for LED video panel lights. So they are easy to swap out and drop onto a charger.


I spent more time than I probably should on designing a model of the mechanum wheels. But now I have them to add to my common robotics parts CAD model library. I will share them on GrabCAD when I have time to think about things after the competition, so that other members of the robotics community can use them in their own CAD models. I'll do the same with the battery model. I have learned it really pays to model every component and put in all the machine screws and hex nuts in the CAD assemblies. This allows interference detection to be calculated and avoids costly mistakes which require re-printing parts when you discover a servo collides with a nut of some such problem when you try to assemble your design for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment