Thursday 30 November 2023

Pimoroni Yukon - Interfacing a Raspberry Pi to an Micro-controller running Micropython

I've been working on testing some new pre-release modular robotics hardware from Pimoroni. The Yukon board.


I am planning to build my Pi Wars robot around this, which means I need a way to talk to a Micro-python board from a Raspberry Pi. It would be really neat to be able to do this over the USB lead. This board is not a HAT, so needs powering via USB. I thought it would be great to use the USB port on the Pi to power the Yukon board, and for communication between the two.

This opened up a rabbit hole of learning. First to work out how to send data over USB serial from Python on the Pi, and how to read the data in Micropython on a connected micro-controller. I discovered that certain byte values get changed (line ending conversions) and that some kill the micro-python program (the same way pressing the 'stop' button in the Thonny IDE does). I learned how to disable this feature in micropython, and then how difficult it is to get control back when main.py auto-runs on power up and turns off the ability of the IDE to intercept and stop the program!

To avoid these problems I decided to hex encode each byte I wanted to send, so it is sent as a pair of bytes represented by ASCII characters which are safe to send. This topic raised some interest on social media, so I cleaned up the example and made it run on a vanilla Raspberry Pi Pico board. You can find the code on github.com/Footleg/rpi-pico/tree/main/micropython/serial_comms_over_usb

No comments:

Post a Comment